There's a little extra magic in the air the Christmas Day with a Cancer Full Moon on Dec. 25. The last time a Full Moon occurred on Christmas was 1977; it won’t happen again until 2034.
The ancients considered the Full Moon after the Winter Solstice (as known as the Cold Moon) the strongest of the year. The Moon is the planet ruler for Cancer, so the Moon gains extra pizazz when it’s at home in its sign.
A Cancer Moon honors traditions, as well as the cycle of the ebb and flow of life. It’s easy to be optimistic and grateful when things are going well. But we need to honor both the highs and the lows of life experience, since each has its own lesson. The holidays certainly bring plenty of opportunities to practice going with the flow.
Full Moons are a time to celebrate, release and open.
As the year comes to a close, many are meeting with family or connecting with community for holiday gatherings. This may be a joyful experience for some, and for others, simply overwhelming.
Notice what happens when you get out of your comfort zone. As the Full Moon in Cancer faces off to the Sun in serious Capricorn, there is an invitation to contemplate:
- What emotions from the past still need to be dissolved or transformed?It may be time to leave the past behind, and let your defenses down a little. The Moon in family-loving Cancer fosters compassion, while a harmonizing aspect from Neptune in Pisces encourages forgiveness.
- Is there something you still have to say to someone special? Speak up, but do so with careful consideration. Mercury the messenger is near powerful Pluto in Capricorn, but an awkward push from impulsive Uranus in Aries, could give your words unintended consequences.
Emotions are running deep and wide
Cancer is a water sign, so it relates to the realm of feelings and emotion. The three water signs are Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces. If you have strong water sign elements in your personal birth chart, remember emotions may be running high this week.
If you are emotionally sensitive, take time out this season and make sure you are doing something to make sure you are feeling nurtured. Bodywork, massage and energy healing will keep your mind and body clear, so emotions can move more effectively.
If you are getting hot and bothered, reframe your perspective. Remember not to take it personally. You may not even have a clear understanding of someone else’s intentions as the Full Moon connects with nebulous Neptune. If you are experiencing a feeling and you can’t quite put your finger on it, simply let go and trust the process. Give others the benefit of the doubt.
Make resolutions to nurture YOURSELF
Nurturing and self-care are also connected to the Zodiac sign of Cancer.
The more you nurture and take care of yourself, the more energy you have available to take care of others in a healthy way. What commitment can you make to take better care of yourself this year on all levels: emotionally, physically, mentally or spiritually?
Consider these ideas as you create your New Year’s resolutions:
- Create healthy boundaries with people, projects and plans
- Get bodywork or massage
- Be sure to eat nurturing and supportive foods for your system
- Take the time and space to acknowledge the presence of spirit in your life.
Who is most affected by Cancer Full Moon?
This Full Moon occurs at 3 degrees Cancer. Look to your own personal birth chart to find if you have planets in early degrees of any cardinal sign — Aries, Cancer, Libra and Capricorn. You may feel this Full Moon more personally. You may be:
- Inspired for creative action
- Feeling triggered or nurtured by family drama
- Feeling the need to re-balance relationship needs
- Having more energy to be productive and get things done over holiday break!
Last Moon Phase: New Moon in Sagittarius, Dec. 11, 2015
Next Moon Phase: New Moon in Capricorn, Jan. 9, 2016
This Full Moon is exact on Friday, Dec. 25, at 6:11 a.m. EST.